Hello there, Jedi!
Proofing General Kenobi’s here, as you might have guessed. We are ready for another interesting journey, this time – to the lands of India.
The digital collaborative tool for creatives we are about to check is called QuickReviewer, one more of our competitors that seems to be a new one to the market. Without further ado, let’s jump right into it, and see what they have on the plate for managers and their teams.
What is QuickReviewer?
Although Capterra is trying to convince me that the app’s production started in 2011, I hardly believe it. It looks a bit too raw and unpolished, and there are no reviews on both Capterra and G2Crowd. I guess our old friendly NASA map is going to help us battle-test QuickReviewer and understand how strong the Force is with it. *sound of lightsabre turning on*
- The dashboard is plain and simple. Important note: there are no projects here, only your graphic designs gallery. You can create folders instead of projects and rename your documents at any time, but I’m not sure it’s very practical. Asset’s control buttons emerge only when you click on it, which is a bit confusing. The overall design is not intuitive.
- We are using a forever free plan that offers unlimited reviewers, one user, and only 100 MB of storage. Not much, especially for video files, which QuickReviewer supports as well as PDFs, pictures, and HTMLs.
- Although the review tool processes our map very fast, there’s a bitter pillow inside. To begin with, it opens my map with a crazy 270% level of zoom for some reason, and when I try to roll it back with my mouse wheel, it does not work. First several seconds were a bit frustrating, but then I found zoom controls in the left lower corner. Very inconvenient.
- Then, there’s serious quality loss, which explains why the artwork was so fast to process at the very beginning. Up above you can see my still favourite Spain with 190% zoom. Yikes, it’s not funny at all.
- There are only two mark-up tools – Point and Square area. The colours cannot be changed, so differentiating reviewers becomes a bit difficult.
- By the way, the reviewers cannot be invited from the review tool itself – to do it, you have to get back to the dashboard, click on your asset, and choose appropriate button on the control panel that emerges above. Sharing is available via email only.
- Comment strings do not update in real time, which means online review sessions will be pointless because you will have to refresh the page all the time. Also, you cannot send your comments or replies with Enter button and will have to use interface. Again, inconvenient.
- Compare mode doesn’t become the coolest feature the app possesses as well. You can only compare your designs side by side, without changes highlighted, which means you’ll have to rely on your eye anyway.
- Our last stop is reporting and auditing, and it will be very brief. There’s View Details button, which is really tiny and hard to find unless you have a very keen eye. It only allows you to see very basic activities with practically no details – there’s no comments’ texts, for example. Also, it is not printable and not downloadable, so you cannot send it to the client. Won’t work for successful project management, not the Jedi way.
Also Read: Top 10 Project Management Software for 2019
The Pros and Cons of QuickReviewer
- Pros: video proofing, forever free plan available, fast.
- Cons: inconvenient interface, no live updates, quality loss, weak auditing feature, no changes highlighter in compare mode.
QuickReviewer vs Approval Studio: comparison table
|Target market||Small to enterprise businesses||Small to enterprise businesses|
|Online communication in Proof Tool||No||Yes|
|Auditing||View details||Project history / downloadable PDF-project report for a client|
|App languages||EN||EN, DE, PL, UA, and ES coming soon|
|Trial / free version||Free offer for 1 user with 100 MB storage, no credit card||14 days, no credit card / free 6-month offer for influencers|
|Price monthly||Not applicable||$40 per 5 users per month|
|Price annually||$29 per month||$30 per 5 users per month|
|Number of reviews||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Capterra rating||No rating||5/5 based on 6 reviews|
|G2Crowd rating||Not presented||5/5 based on 13 reviews|
Why choose Approval Studio?
I will try to be as brief and clear as Master Yoda would be: many cool features that completely QuickReviewer outrun Approval Studio has.
- Approval is considerably more user-friendly and intuitive – it’s one of our main concepts. We have Kanban dashboard with projects and all the buttons visible directly in the project menu. There are no problems with controls in the review tool, you can use the mouse wheel and keyboard.
- 6 GB of storage, unlimited reviews, and up to 5 accounts in our Lite version with free trial for pretty moderate pricing. Don’t forget about influencer program as well that allows you to use Pro without a cost for 6 months.
- Similar to QuickReviewer, we process your images fast, but we do not descale them. Here’s the same old map with the same old Spain zoomed in 200% in Approval Studio:
- Approval has 4 different mark-up possibilities – point, circle, square, and a free form. You can switch colour to each of them to differentiate your reviewers for better teamwork and also change the position of a comment. They can also be hidden from reviewers outside your company if necessary with Hide button on the right comments panel.
- External reviewers can be invited directly in the review tool, short link invite is available as well. Easy to share!
- There is no need to refresh the page whenever someone annotates anything or replies to some of the existing comments, so basically you have a messenger in your review tool.
- We offer 4 different Compare modes that are unique on the market and have no alternatives: “Side by side” with two panels for each iteration and ability to highlight the changes, “Fader” for versions overlay, “Difference” that will show only the edits applied, and “Toggle” that switches from one iteration to another. No need to look at both versions trying to find changes until you can see twinkles all around – have our software solution do it for you. Unlimited power!
- Approval Studio provides full Project History log with all actioned completed within the project to the smallest details except for rotation and zooming. Same information is available in downloadable Proof reports for any project or separate asset. If your customer wants to see some audit records, there’s a lot to show!
All things considered, the only feature of QuickReviewer that seems to beat Approval Studio is ability to proof videos. Although I am definitely biased, it is still a clean and objective win for Approval Studio, however hard I am trying to give my Indian colleagues more props. I truly hope that QuickReviewer is a new tool that will evolve with time, that guys will hire a UX\UI designer that will help them to reconsider controls placement and overall tool’s functionality. Who knows, maybe in a year or two I would say that they are a better service than Approval Studio, but at this moment – not even close.
What do you think? Let us know in the comment section or contact us directly; we would love to hear your feedback or arrange a free demo for you!
And may the Force always be with you.