Howdy, folks! We continue our series of comparison articles, and in this one, we’re about to discuss cloud-based design proofing tool GoProof and compare it to Approval Studio. Features, cost, benefits, drawbacks – I tried to compile everything and create as objective and honest review as possible.
Table of contents:
What is GoProof?
GoProof is a graphic asset approval tool created by British software developer Oppolis that was established in 2003 in Telford. The company offers several other services, but GoProof seems to be their flagman. I have to admit, the company knows their industry, and their software has a range of cool features. The main drawback – getting additional information about the tool is quite problematic since there are very few reviews, and GoProof pricing is not provided on the official website. Anyway, enough of the chit-chat, let’s check what they have on the table!
- The tool’s home page is divided into several sections: Clients, Proofs, Activity Timeline, and Insights. Up above you can see a screenshot from the gallery-like Proofs page, where you can arrange your files and projects.
- In the upper side of the page, there is some statistical information about all your proofs and account usage, which is pretty convenient.
- Account managers can add an unlimited number of collaborators to their teams. At first, it is a bit complicated to understand which menu tab adds which users – clients, collaborators, and etc., but it’s possible to get used to it with time.
- Proofing tool does not reduce the size of your images or documents and allows to zoom them without any quality losses.
- The widest range of mark-up tools ever: Push pin, Box, Ruler, Strike (a special tool for removing text), Highlight, Tick, Cross, Arrow, Question mark, Draw, and Range for video files. There’s no chance that any comment will be misunderstood, but, at the same time, I’m not sure if it is not too much. Anyway, I reckon it’s rather a matter of taste.
- Proofing tool supports real-time communication in comments which makes getting feedback tons easier.
- The weak spot of the tool is its compare mode. To put it simply, there is only one button by pressing and releasing which you can toggle-switch between two versions. Also, you can open the previous version in the new window and compare them manually, which is not really convenient since you have to adjust your windows’ position. Steals time that could be used for production.
- There is a time-tracking feature called Insights. It allows designers to put time records whenever they apply any change, but it will be available only via GoProof Adobe CC add-on. Furthermore, you can print proof reports together with all comments to each file. One more reporting tool called Spotlight allows you to check overall project and client activity with all time spent and export this info to CSV.
- The main benefit of GoProof is its Adobe integrations, namely Adobe Creative Cloud add-on, that comes free together with proofing tool. It is a totally brilliant option for designers who can save their time without buying Adobe digital products separately. However, at the same time, it might be the exact reason why GoProof does not indicate their pricing on the website.
The Pros and Cons of GoProof
- Pros: stats at the main page, the widest mark-up tools range ever, Adobe Creative Cloud add-on.
- Cons: almost no compare modes, user management is a bit inconvenient, pricing is not specified.
GoProof vs Approval Studio: comparison table
|Target market||Small to enterprise businesses||Small to enterprise businesses|
|Online communication in Proof Tool||Yes||Yes|
|Auditing||Insights for time tracking / Spotlight for reporting||Project history / downloadable PDF-project report for a client|
|Adobe CC integration||Yes||No|
|Trial / free version||14 days, no credit card||14 days, no credit card / free 6-month offer for influencers|
|Price monthly||Not specified||$40 per 5 users per month|
|Price annually||Not specified||$30 per 5 users per month|
|Number of reviews||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Capterra rating||5/5 based on 1 review||5/5 based on 6 reviews|
|G2Crowd rating||4.2/5 based on 5 reviews||5/5 based on 13 reviews|
Why choose Approval Studio?
Approval Studio is a little bit simpler than GoProof, but that doesn’t mean it can’t stand a chance against a bigger brother. As Leonardo da Vinci said, “simplicity is the greatest sophistication”, so we definitely have some strong features to make it to the list of the best GoProof alternatives, have no doubt!
- Here we go with our strongest card – Compare mode, which you can see in the screenshot above. “Side by side” with two panel for each iteration, “Fader” for a dynamic shift between versions, “Difference” that will show only the changes applied to the picture, and “Toggle” switching from one iteration to another – these four comparison options are unique and outrun GoProof’s compare features for miles.
- As well as with Ziflow, one more GoProof competitor, Approval Studio’s Kanban-style dashboard is more user-friendly and far easier to navigate.
- Both apps have the option of adding internal and external reviewers, but GoProof relies exclusively on email, while Approval Studio provides a possibility to invite external approvers via a quick link, which means you do not have to send a separate invite to everyone. It significantly improves teamwork.
- Similar to GoProof, our Review Tool has a perfect zoom that does not reduce the quality of the image. Equal sign here for both products.
- Online chat-a-like discussions in the proofing tools of both apps result in one more tie. I bet creatives in your team should be happy about such collaborative opportunities! 🙂
- Approval Studio offers 4 different annotation shapes – point, circle, square, and a free form. This is less than GoProof has, but it does not decrease Approval’s functionality. In terms of versatility, we can offer something Oppolis’ product doesn’t have – the ability to attach one annotation to two or more similar issues in different places of the artwork. Hiding annotations from external reviewers is something else I did not find in GoProof.
- Auditing is one more part where the winner can be defined primarily by personal taste: Approval doesn’t provide time-tracking function, but reports by GoProof are scattered in different places which makes them much harder to manage and share. Besides, we offer reports pulled out specifically for customers without any excessive info that you first need to sort. Easy to check, easy to use.
So, in a nutshell, GoProof is definitely bigger in its scale, but, as I’ve mentioned before, Approval’s proof tool is equally good in terms of … scaling. I mean, zooming. Eh… You know, nevermind. I hope you will excuse my poor sense of humor and try both tools on your own to let us know which one you prefer ☺
Our main concept is getting better every day and becoming the best in our field, so your opinion is very important to us! Let us know if you want to schedule a free demo session to help you make your final decision.