How ya goin, mate?
Nah, that’s not what ya think, I haven’t lost any keys from my keyboard –it’s just this cool Australian accent I’m trying to mimic here.
Whenever you travel somewhere so far away, you have to be prepared, don’t ya? And the reason we are going to Australia today is GoVisually – one more of many cloud-based review tool alternatives we want to check out and compare to Approval Studio. Brace yourselves, creative teams, that’s gonna be one kind of a journey. Have a good one!
Table of contents:
GoVisually Overview: what are their features?
I don’t know about you, but to my ear the phrase “we’re based in beautiful Sydney, Australia” sounds somewhat enchanting. I mean, I wish I could go there someday, meet with the team behind GoVisually, and talk about the cool project of theirs they launched in 2011. Our Australian competitors earned themselves good reputation with the hard work they put in. Therefore, I guess that to test this collaborative tool and compare it to Approval Studio, I will have to use some powerful cavalry instead of a regular image. Something tells me that a 26 Mb World Map from NASA website with 21600×10800 resolution will do. Hey-ho, let’s go!
- The app gallery is very simple without any excessive elements. All your artworks look like tiles sorted by their statuses into tabs above, and all projects can be seen in the left panel. I have to say it’s pretty convenient.
- When you hit the upload button, the system suggests you to browse or drag-and-drop PNG, JPG, PDF, or PSD files.
- The number of external reviewers is unlimited; however, the trial solo pack for one user which we were able to test offers you only up to 10 projects.
- Proofing tool is fast. But when I decided to apply 179% zoom and find Spain on our map, the result was not as amusing as I expected. GoVisually simply descaled the image and it lost its quality – check the screenshot above.
- There are three annotation types available: Comment – points annotation at a specific place, Box – highlights a selected area, Arrow – draws an arrow. An important moment: I wasn’t able to point at a specific place with Comment if that place was within the Box. Arrow solved it for me, though.
- Whenever you want to invite some external reviewers, you can use a quick link feature from the upper right corner of the Review tool. A peculiar thing: link access allows you only to see the images, and if you want to annotate, you will have to fill in the form with your email, name, and then password, which basically means you’re creating an account. Not quite what I expected.
- Proofing tool supports real-time communication in comments. Also, GoVisually offers Slack integration, which is great if your company uses it.
- After you’ve finished your first review and want to reject the artwork, you will not find the necessary button in the tool. It is available only in paid versions but not in the free trial. Kinda weird, this is an essential feature that helps you get feedback and optimize production.
- Unfortunately, GoVisually doesn’t have a well-developed digital comparison regime. Whenever you upload a new version, you can click on Revisions button on the left panel and choose the iteration you want to check. That is, basically, the end of the story.
- Export and Print Comments feature gets you a report on all your annotations and approvals/rejections (supposedly, because we couldn’t test the latter). The only weird thing is the fact that they are marked with a star instead of the shape that was initially applied as the annotation. Also a paid version feature?
- Yeah, about paid versions. Pricing starts at $12 per user/month.
GoVisually vs Approval Studio: comparison table
|Target market||Small to enterprise businesses||Small to enterprise businesses|
|Online communication in Proof Tool||Yes, plus Slack integration||Yes|
|Number of supported file types||4||7|
|Auditing||Export and Print Comments||Project history / downloadable PDF-project report for a client|
|Trial / free version||7 days, no credit card||14 days, no credit card / free 6-month offer for influencers|
|Price monthly||$15 per user per month||$40 per 5 users per month|
|Price annually||$12 per user per month||$30 per 5 users per month|
|Number of projects||10||Unlimited|
|Number of reviews||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Capterra rating||4.5/5 based on 37 reviews||5/5 based on 6 reviews|
|G2Crowd rating||No rating||5/5 based on 13 reviews|
Also Read: The 12 principles of a Designer
Why choose Approval Studio?
So, how different is Approval Studio from GoVisually? In short, not so much on the outer side, but drastically in its concept.
- We offer a Kanban dashboard instead of tiles gallery since we believe it’s a bit more convenient for a successful project management. Matter of taste in such case, since GoVisually is extremely easy to navigate as well.
- Approval Studio supports TIFF, JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG, AI, PDF file formats, which is almost twice more compared to GoVisually.
- Unlimited number of reviewers and projects you can create.
- Now let’s take a look up above at the screenshot. Yes, you are absolutely right – it’s the same location on the same map with the same 179% zoom applied, but Approval Studio doesn’t descale the picture. A drastic difference in quality.
- Approval Studio has 4 different annotation shapes – point, circle, square, and a free form just in case you feel like drawing blue Pac-man that’s about to swallow Mallorca. All annotations shapes can intersect without any problems so that you can make your Pac-man a circle eye. Also, you can hide your Pac-man annotations in case you don’t want external reviewers a.k.a. Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde to see them. One comment can also be “attached” to multiple places with the use of different mark-up shapes in case you have the same issue repeating in different places of your designs. Or you can mark all the points in the labyrinth you can eat at once! Gosh, I really have to grow up…
- About teamwork and external reviews – you can share the document via the quick link or via email, there’s no need to register. In case you use the link, the reviewer will have to provide their name and email just for identification. A cool little thingy here: you’ll be able to see who invited the reviewer in the comment they add.
- Similar to GoVisually, the tool supports online chats in the comments section (Slack integration is yet to come in future versions.)
- If you want to reject your artwork, there’s Request Changes button, and we promise your creatives will not have any troubles finding it.
- Approval Studio has 4 unique comparison modes that help to locate the changes – Side-by-side with a difference highlighter, Fader that overlays one version with another, Difference that shows only what was changed, and my favorite Toggle that switches the versions in turn.
- Our users have the ability to track all project changes in Project History and pull out a full PDF report specifically for client with the exact information on every action done on every graphic document. Of course, except for hidden annotations.
- Approval Studio cost’s starting point is $30 per 5 user/month.
That was a nice trip, ay! And since we’re back and my inner Aussie is temporarily sate with the traveling experience, we really want to hear what you think about the two apps. Would be weird if we didn’t say it was Approval Studio with all the comparison modes, zoom quality, and stuff… But, at the end of the day, it’s only your opinion that matters. Which alternative is better? Why? Answering these two questions might get you on a 6-month free influencer subscription to our service, and while you’re still thinking if it’s worth it, our manager’s calendar is getting booked for demo sessions. Fair dinkum, we are waiting for you!